geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: defining Context root
Date Wed, 02 Dec 2009 02:48:05 GMT
In addition to Chi Runhua's good advice...

On Dec 1, 2009, at 5:30 PM, nileshnjoshi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using geronimo-tomcat6-javaee5-2.1.4. I need inputs on few
> things:
>
> 1.	I am not able to write correct context root. Details steps will
> help a
> lot.
> History: I have deployed a war file on apache-tomcat 6.0.20 and I
> access the
> application like:
> http://abc.test.com/MailApp
>
> Now I have switched to geronimo-tomcat6. I have deployed same war
> which
> works fine. However I want to change the context root. I want to
> access the
> application on URL below:
> http://abc.test.com/test/mail/
>
> Before creating a new war file, I have created a file called
> ‘geronimo-web.xml’ and placed in WEB-INF. However I observed that
> file is
> not available after deploying application.
>
> What all things I need to do to achieve above.
>

> 2.	I would like to define the directory where I can deploy new
> applications.
>
> When I deploy an application using GUI, it created directory
> structure like
> below:
>
> /opt/geronimo-tomcat6-javaee5-2.1.4/repository/default/MailApp/
> 2258680823503/MailApp-2258680823503.war
>
> I want to get rid of MailApp/1258680823503 and number. I would like
> to have
> directory structure like:
> /opt/geronimo-tomcat6-javaee5-2.1.4/repository/default/MailApp.war
>
> I need this structure so that my scripts can deploy war file directly.

Don't try to do this.  You  should either
a. call the geronimo deployer supplying the location of your war file
from your script

or

b. use maven to "pre-deploy" your war into a geronimo plugin and have
your script install the plugin by using the geronimo deployer

or (my preference)

c. use geronimo 2.2, and use maven to assemble a custom server
including the plugin as in 2.  In this case your script would just
unpack the server and start it.

If you copy an ee app into the geronimo repository geronimo won't know
about it and there will be no way to tell geronimo to use it.  You
have to go through the geronimo deployment process so geronimo can set
up additional info about your app, such as the fact that it should be
started with the server (recorded in var/config/config.xml)

thanks
david jencks