geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: The need for pooling beans
Date Mon, 02 Nov 2009 16:57:07 GMT

On Nov 2, 2009, at 1:47 AM, Antonio ForniƩ wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I'd like to know about the real need for pooling SLSB. I think a
> SLSB is
> meant to have not shared data (not instance variables or so), it
> only has
> methods that can be invoked from several clients at a time, right?

This is wrong.  Each client gets a separate copy of the SLSB so that
indeed they can have instance variables and separate requests don't
interfere with each other.  I won't try to comment on how useful
instance variables are in an object called exactly once, but that is
the design.

> Whay
> can't my clients shared the same object? If there's no problem in
> more than
> one thread using the same method of the same object (SLSB) at the
> same time,
> why to have some SLSBs pooled instead of a singleton?

IIUC ejb 3.1 includes singleton ejbs.  I don't know much about them.

thanks
david jencks