geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Could not build Geronimo server from SVN branch 2.2
Date Wed, 11 Nov 2009 15:33:19 GMT

On Nov 10, 2009, at 11:00 PM, Fei LI wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am exhausted and decide to give up.
>
> If you really want to help me out, please remove your local repo
> completely, build from the ground and tell me how many problems you
> find. Not 1, not 2, not 3 even not 4, many, as far as I can tell you.
>
> Anyway, I will monitor the trunk to see if someday I can compile it.
> The trunk is where I should start.

Hi Fei Li,
There are multiple threads on multiple mailing lists for this same
problem.

There was a general problem that seems to be a combination of an issue
with configuration changes to the maven repository at maven2-repository.dev.java.net
  and potentially a bug in the maven dependency report plugin. See http://old.nabble.com/Stuck%2C-cannot-build%2C-repository-down---td24941611.html

  for additional information.

To fix your issue:

On Nov 10, 2009, at 3:31 PM, Joe Bohn wrote:

> After looking into this some more and discussing it off-line with
> Jarek I've learned the following:
>
> - It isn't really returning a bogus pom or jar ... it is just
> returning a redirect.  Maven wrongly assumes that this is the actual
> file that was requested and persists it as such.
> - Using Maven 2.2.1 (I was using 2.0.10) doesn't handle the
> redirects any better and so doesn't fix the problem.
> - For tags/2.1.4 maven 2.2.1 also causes other problems so it's best
> to stick with maven 2.1.10 of you are building Geronimo 2.1.*
> - org/apache/yoko/yoko/1.0/yoko-1.0.pom includes a repository list
> that points to https://maven-repository.dev.java.net/nonav/
> repositorid of java.net so this is why we are pulling in that repo
> - If I add the following to my settings.xml for maven I can avoid
> the redirect (and hence avoid the bogus poms/jars) and get beyond
> this problem to build Geronimo 2.1.4 using maven 2.0.10.
>
>    <mirrors>
>        <mirror>
>            <id>java.net</id>
>            <name>Mirror of https://maven-repository.dev.java.net/nonav/repository

> /</name>
>            <url>http://download.java.net/maven/1/</url>
>            <mirrorOf>java.net</mirrorOf>
>        </mirror>
>    </mirrors>

Now documented at http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDEV/building-apache-geronimo.html

If you are interested in working on the development of Geronimo 3.0,
you'd be more than welcome. If you are interested in using Geronimo, I
would not recommend using trunk. You should be using geronimo/server/
branches/2.2 or geronimo/server/tags/2.1.4, instead.

--kevan