geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Serious Problem with Roles
Date Mon, 16 Nov 2009 17:29:51 GMT
Hi Quintin,

On Nov 16, 2009, at 8:41 AM, Quintin Beukes wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I basically have a bunch of roles which should each be mapped to
> different combinations of a user's "GroupPrincipals". Something like
> this:
>
>      <sec:role role-name="Lamp Room">
>        <sec:principal
> class
> ="org.apache.geronimo.security.realm.providers.GeronimoGroupPrincipal"
> name="Lamp Room"/>
>      </sec:role>
>      <sec:role role-name="VDS User">
>        <sec:principal
> class
> ="org.apache.geronimo.security.realm.providers.GeronimoGroupPrincipal"
> name="Lamp Room"/>
>      </sec:role>
>      <sec:role role-name="Personnel User">
>        <sec:principal
> class
> ="org.apache.geronimo.security.realm.providers.GeronimoGroupPrincipal"
> name="Lamp Room"/>
>      </sec:role>
>
> This means that named roles are all assigned to a user of group
> "Lamp Room".
>
> Though doing the following I don't see these "virtual roles", only the
> actual group.
>    Subject subject = ContextManager.getCurrentCaller();
>    Set<Principal> principals = subject.getPrincipals();

roles are just names, not principals, so there's no way you'll see
them in the Subject.  Here's how it works, in PolicyContextGeneric:

1. the principal-role map specified above is fed in.
2. the role-permission map specified by the DD or annotations is fed in
3. these are combined to form a principal-permission map as the app
starts up
4. when you test a permission (either through container access control
or an isUserInRole/isCallerInRole call) we run through the Subject's
principals, get the PermissionCollection for that principal, and see
if it implies the permission desired.

One thing to note about this is that geronimo needs to know about the
role and permission you're going to check.  So the role has to be
declared somewhere.  I'm less sure about the role-ref permission...
for web apps there is an implicit role-ref permission set up mapping
the role to itself for any role without an explicit role-ref.  I don't
recall how ejbs work, I kinda think that you have to declare all the
roles you are going to test with a role-ref.

> I can see how this would be the case, though the following must
> definitely work: isCallerInRole("Personnel Admin") or EVEN
> isCallerInRole("Lamp Room"). They all return false.
>
> If I have a method annotated with @RolesAllowed({"Personnel User"}),
> then GeronimoSecurityService.isCallerAuthorized(Method method,
> InterfaceType typee) return TRUE.
> Though, GeronimoSecurityService.isCallerInRole(String role) returns
> FALSE when I query isCallerInRole("Personnel User").

I think this might support my idea that you have to explicitly set up
a role-ref for any role you mean to test in an ejb.

> I assume somewhere the AccessControlContext isn't populated correctly?
> I'm not really sure how this should work, so if someone can tell me
> how this all fits together I can have a look.

Let me know if the above doesn't answer your questions

thanks
david jencks