geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Antonio ForniƩ <sitaronoctur...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: The need for pooling beans
Date Thu, 05 Nov 2009 23:07:41 GMT

Yes, it does! Thank you! It was not just a question but also an opinion.

Sometimes I need transaction and security (so I need EJB according to Sun),
but I'd prefer not to have pooling. If I only needed a Singleton I could do
it by myself but it wouldn't be an EJB, so yes, sometimes I need this new
Singleton EJB that's about to come.

In fact, I think by and large we don't need pooling so, prior to EJB 3.1, is
it a good idea to use EJB  for all my Bussiness Objects or only for a few?
That's what I'm pointing out. I'm not sure about that general need for
pooling... even when Sun and App Server vendors are so proud about their
bean pools, it doesn't mean I need it.

On the other hand I don't see why you say:
>> That's because servlets are unmanaged components.
As far as I see this has nothing to do. I insist, Spring showed everybody we
can live without pooled beans, and it's even better for the 90% of times.
Managed or unmanaged components. In fact future Singleton EJBs will be
manged components too.

>>Spring might not have pooling, but this isn't necessary on the client
side.
I'm afraid I don't you what you mean. Please, why do you talk about the
client side? I only say that most of the times we don't have any problem if
different threads or even different clients are using the same object at a
time. In a near future we'll have Singleton EJB, but for many years we've
been told how lucky we were to have pooled beans... for so many years this
was not the way (except for a few cases). Don't you agree?

>>The container manages this for you. This is another example of why SLSBs
are pooled.
Yes, this is why they say they pool SLSBs, but the problem is that it's not
needed. Spring manages for you access to objects (by IoC) and it doesn't
mean that those objects should have been pooled. Of course it's good to use
pools in some situations, but when you follow the Sun official path (for
example, if you want to study for the Sun Certificate Enterprise Architect
as I'm doing) you are told that for any application big enough not to use
only Servlets/JSP you need an EJB container. And you read the J2EE Core
Patterns and you may end up believing you need pooled beans for a Session
Facade and similar cases... do you think that's true? Thounsands of Spring
applications use singletons even for DAOs. I may be missing something, but
as far as I can see it's like using a Ferrari to go to the bathroom. But
please, I really think there's something I must be missing and I'd like to
be taught.

Sorry if I talk about Spring, it's because it's the most famous alternative.
Thank you very much!