geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Quintin Beukes <quin...@skywalk.co.za>
Subject Re: Where to download an ejb3 app already packaged/deployed
Date Thu, 08 Oct 2009 11:39:33 GMT
> Yes, I will try to work with Eclipse, my favorite IDE, but last time I tried
> I had so many problems and now that I try again I read that people is having
> problems with Galileo... so before IDE integration, I was going to try a
> really simple sample app (so simple not to need IDE integration at all,
> though I would code with Eclipse I would deploy by hand). I think that a
> project with 2 or 3 java files, and 2 or 3 xml files should not be difficult
> even without IDE.

Well. The application setup on Geronimo is just like any other, also
requiring an ejb-jar.xml. Though there is one difference, you need the
deployment descriptor. This would be in the jar under
META-INF/openejb-jar.xml.

So just take any EJB jar, and add META-INF/openejb-jar.xml

Minimally it can contain:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<openejb-jar xmlns="http://openejb.apache.org/xml/ns/openejb-jar-2.2"
         xmlns:naming="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/naming-1.2"
         xmlns:sec="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/security-2.0"
         xmlns:dep="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/deployment-1.2">

  <dep:environment>
    <dep:moduleId>
      <dep:groupId>com.yourcompany</dep:groupId>
      <dep:artifactId>YourEJBName</dep:artifactId>
      <dep:version>0.1</dep:version>
      <dep:type>jar</dep:type>
    </dep:moduleId>
</openejb-jar>

> By the way, you have work with Geronimo. Is now easy for you to work with
> JMS, Stateful and stateless, interceptor...? Does it work fine?

Definitely. You get used to it's way very quickly. I must admin that
Glassfish, which I've worked with more, is much more mature on the
"intuitive" front, requiring very little knowledge of the server in
order to get started. Geronimo is getting there. Though the extra
effort is worth it. The performance gains on the EJB front alone makes
me never want to turn away. Too bad Geronimo hasn't been pitted
against the apparently "fastest appserver, Glassfish". Geronimo is
also very flexible, so the better you get to know it, the more you
will be able to do with it.