geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Quintin Beukes <quin...@skywalk.co.za>
Subject Re: Where to download an ejb3 app already packaged/deployed
Date Thu, 08 Oct 2009 10:58:41 GMT
Well, most of the information on packaging is available on the
Geronimo docs. I must say that my startup experiences with Geronimo
was also very difficult, and the docs aren't very easy to navigate.
It's well indexed, but not always clear where to look. Geronimo is
also not very intuitive and "user friendly", though once you get to
know it, it's brilliant. Took met about a week or so to get
comfortable with it, and I doubt I'll turn to another server anytime
soon. Especially given the quick turnaround on bug reports.

Either way, what you can try is to use your IDE to make the EJB jar
for you. Which IDE are you using? I prefer Netbeans, though I would
probably recommend Eclipse is better for a new Geronimo+JavaEE user.

Also checkout the IBM redbook for WASCE. It's not Geronimo per se,
though very close to it and has good thorough information on doing
JavaEE with WASCE. For the more technical bits there is always the
mailing list and online documentation.

You can find the redbook here:
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redpieces/abstracts/sg247639.html?Open&S_TACT=105AGX10&S_CMP=WASCE
And the Geronimo 2.1 docs here: http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC21/

>From the Geronimo docs, I recommend checking out these tutorials as
well: http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC21/tutorials.html

And when you have the time, invest in slowly browsing through the
Geronimo documentation. There is really a lot documented there, and
the listings are of good quality and ever improving (compare 2.1 to
2.2 docs) and I've found it very useful to get a good "impression" on
where to find things.

Quintin Beukes