geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Simon Aquilina <sim...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Can I make Geronimo work with my own implementation of web server?
Date Mon, 07 Sep 2009 11:11:34 GMT

> Geronimo is pretty modular so you should have no difficulty
> integrating whatever you come up with in geronimo.  Since you don't
> provide any details of what you are trying to do its difficult to do
> anything other than point you at the geronimo code base.  If you
> provided more details on the protocol you are planning to use we could
> point you in a more focussed direction.  Personally I'm a little
> confused because I thought "web server" was usually used to mean
> "server for http requests".

Hi David,

First of all thank you very much for your quick reply. You are right I did not explain my
self fully on what I am trying to achieve. I am mostly asking the question as part of a research
I am making to understand how modular Geronimo is and in which ways I could customize it for
my needs.

Basically my question is if I can build my own "server to handle custom protocol requests"
that can live next to tomcat with the Geronimo. For example, if I have a web application that
consists of a single servlet (that inherits from GenericServlet class), then can I set Geronimo
to load by custom protocol handler at start up (just like I assume it does with Tomcat)? and
can I access the deployed servet from this custom protocol handler?

I have looked into the possiblity of adding a connector directly into Tomcat but the problem
here is that the Tomcat adapter handles all requests as http. I also thought of using the
JEE Connector Framework. However the problem here is that the only way to access a deployed
web application is to use the URLConnection class which internally sends an http request.

Regards,
Simon J.