geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Starting Geronimo with More PermGen
Date Mon, 14 Sep 2009 15:06:05 GMT

On Sep 14, 2009, at 10:07 AM, Quintin Beukes wrote:

> Doesn't Sun have a GC on the PermGen? Or is it just low priority,
> meaning this won't happen on production servers. Even in a the common
> production host you deploy a lot. They might be further apart, but
> they are many none the less. And these servers are usually solid,
> meaning they don't fall over. I will easily reach 10 deployments
> without a server restart.

Yes, PermGen is GC'ed. However, if there is a ClassLoader memory leak,
then a ClassLoader (and associated classes) can't be GC'ed, even
though the application has been undeployed.

> Though on my dev machine I have gone to about 20 deployments (around
> there - I just counted the log entries from server start while
> pressing page down the whole time and counted 18) before it gave a
> permgen. This was in a 2 hour period.
>
> If this is going to be a problem, is JRocket expensive?

I assume that JRockit stores class meta data in heap space. So, just
means you have more storage for your class meta data, rather than
specialized PermGen.

If you recreate your OOME PermGen with -XX:
+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError, we can help diagnose your problem. One of
these days, I'll write a blog on this...

--kevan