geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Starting Geronimo with More PermGen
Date Sun, 13 Sep 2009 14:11:22 GMT

On Sep 13, 2009, at 8:15 AM, Quintin Beukes wrote:

> It doesn't have a permgen issue?
>
> Do you have anything to read on this, as I never really thought it was
> an issue. I just thought it had to do with the rate at which classes
> are created?
>
> I know there is something about embedded anonymous classes and a
> permgen problem relating to these, but more than what I said now I
> don't know.
>
> You have links to any articles/blog posts on this?

I don't have any experience with JRockit. However, IBM's JDK doesn't
have a notion of PermGen, either. PermGen is an implementation feature
of Sun's JVM and separates Class objects from normal java objects.
Presumably, PermGen permits more efficient garbage collection in the
Sun JVM -- I'm sure non-Sun implementations might argue with that...
IBM and I assume JRocket allocate Class objects from the Heap.

Either way you your Class metadata is stored in memory. Just a
question of what pool of storage (normal Heap or specialized PermGen).

--kevan