geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Juergen Weber <webe...@gmail.com>
Subject How does the Client Container work?
Date Sun, 27 Sep 2009 10:42:55 GMT

Hi,

as I understand, the Client Container is to provide a mapping for EJB
references via [geronimo-]application-client.xml. Is this done on the client
side or server side? Where is the XML file parsed? Or is the Client
Container something virtual at server side?

http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GMOxDOC22/Deploying+and+running+Java+EE+application+client
says "an application client that runs in the Apache Geronimo application
client container rather than running in your local Java environment."
But the sample client does nothing in main, so I do not see how any
container can get control (e.g. to provide an EJB mapping or do client EJB
injections).

If you run
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/geronimo/sandbox/magicGball/magicGball-client/src/main/java/org/acme/MagicGBallClient.java?view=markup
main() goes into
Context ctx = new InitialContext();
Object o = ctx.lookup("java:comp/env/mGball");

How does the lookup work? by having a jndi.properties in the classpath and
the factory doing magic?

I'd expect that you'd have to start some Geronimo classes' main as entry
from command line which sets up JNDI and injections and then calls you own
main client class, but I did not see this in any examples

Thanks,
Juergen