geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: How does the Client Container work?
Date Tue, 29 Sep 2009 07:17:33 GMT

On Sep 28, 2009, at 11:45 PM, Juergen Weber wrote:

> OK, thanks, so that is consistent to the way Weblogic server does
> it, you
> http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E12840_01/wls/docs103/client/thinclient.html#wp1079680
> start the Weblogic client container  which then starts your client
> application.
>
> The Geronimo  Wiki says:
> You can run the Application Client with this command:
>
> %GERONIMO_HOME%/bin/client JEE5/EXAMPLEClient/2.1/car
>
> But how do you run the client container from a remote machine where
> there is
> no Geronimo installation?
>
> client -h shows no way to argument a Geronimo location.

So far no one has shown enough interest in app client containers to
set this up well.  I think that you can use the "extract a server"
feature to create a geronimo assembly that contains your app client
plugin and everything needed to run it.  You could then unpack this on
the remote client machine.  This part should be easy to try out and
any problems would most likely be minor bugs in dependencies in
geronimo plugins.  This ought to work right now.

However, IIRC the last time I looked there was no obvious way to
configure the app client with the server IP address (or port), so it
would really only run on the same machine as the server.  I think this
would be an easy thing to change, and I think the code would be
somewhere in geronimo-client.  I'm not sure what a good way to _tell_
the app client where the server is might be.  Any ideas?

thanks
david jencks