geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Quintin Beukes <>
Subject Re: How does the Client Container work?
Date Tue, 29 Sep 2009 09:46:21 GMT
Then further, a book written by IBM states:

With WASCE, the following considerations apply:
   Unlike other Java EE application servers, WASCE does not provide a unique
   Application Client container. Instead, you must install the full
server package
   if you want to run an application client.
   This is compliant with the Java EE specification, which does not require that
   you provide a unique installation process for the Application
Client container
   (the specification only requires that it exists). Also, because WASCE has a
   very small server footprint of around 150 MB, the net disk space
savings for a
   special Application Client container most likely outweighs the
realized benefit
   of disk space.

It doesn't say you need to be on the same installation, but it does
say it needs to be deployed on a full installation. I did once try to
extra the client as a plugin, but failed to then install the plugin. I
think it's because the client is never really in a "started" state.
Maybe you can deploy the "server side" of the plugin? But on geronimo
it's 2 separate repo items. and you can't export them as a single

Further, I once tried running the appclient from a separate
installation, and all this achieved was port conflicts.

>From my struggles, this is what my conclusion was:
I don't think the application client was really meant to be a way for
remote clients to access the server, but rather for a local
application to gain the benefits of JavaEE. Any "remoting" has to
happen on the server layer, inside EJBs and what not.

So you would develop your thick application client which is linked to
the EJBs in the server. This is why there are 2 components to the
application client, the server and client component. The client
component runs inside the thick application container, and works with
the server components to create a JavaEE environment for it. It's not
meant to directly communicate with remote EJBs as if being a remote

So to summarise (i'm probably repeating myself a lot here - having
difficulty in explaining this - hope you understand). You get 2 types
of JavaEE clients, thin clients and thick clients. Thin clients are
directly connected to the remote server via a remote InitialContext,
using corba/ejbd. Thick clients run inside a JavaEE environment, and
is connected to remote clients using traditional JavaEE "remoting"
techniques, such as remote EJBs. This is done inside the EJB layer.
The actual "application client" part is purely for wrapping the
application's parts inside the EE container.

Quintin Beukes