Cool~! Glad it can help.

Jeff C

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 9:34 PM, Trygve Hardersen <trygve@jotta.no> wrote:
I believe the relevant G22 documentation is located here:

http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC22/classloading.html

On "hidden-classes" it says:

Including a filter in a hidden-classes element prevents matching classes from being loaded from any parent classloader. This is used when the current module depends on a different version or when the class represents a framework that must be initialized independently from the same framework used by the parent.
This feature is a bit odd. In addition, all child classloaders will not be able to load the class from any parent.

There's also some good information in geronimo-module.xsd:

A list of classes which will never be loaded from parent ClassLoaders of this module. For example, if Log4J was listed here, the module would never see Geronimo's copy of Log4J. If the module provided it's own Log4J JAR it would use that, otherwise it would not be able to load Log4J at all.

The classes are specified in zero or more child "filter" elements where each filter element specifies a fully-qualified class name or prefix. Essentially, any class that starts with one of the prefixes listed here will be treated as hidden. For example, if you specify two filter elements containing "java.util" and "java.lang" then you would really screw up your application. :)

Based on this I added a "hidden-classes" filter on "org.quartz" to my plugin deployment descriptor so Quartz is never loaded from the parent classloader. In general this works well, the only problem is that Quartz loads its version number and probably some other stuff from properties files. The version number properties file is called "build.properties" and lives on the root of the Quartz JAR. I'm unable to exclude it using a "hidden-classes" filter on "build.properties" or "/build.properties". I guess it would be possible to exclude it with a filter on "build", but that is rather risky as it might collide with other dependencies.

Thanks for your help!

Trygve