I think you can simply get it from system property using this key: org.apache.geronimo.home.dir. I'm not 100% percent sure that this will always work (for example, when server is started using gshell commands, e.g., start-server) - you can do a test.

There is another way to fall back, which is to get the ServerInfo gbean from kernel, and read the home info from it. But that will make your code depend all Geronimo classes.

-Jack