geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Trygve Hardersen <>
Subject Re: plugin classloader question
Date Tue, 18 Aug 2009 17:02:02 GMT
Sometimes asking the questions makes you think....

It seems this can be achieved using the "hidden-classes" element in the
module definition. I was probably fooled by Quartz logging version "1.5.2"
even if the version really was "1.6.5". I looked at the Quartz source and
they are loading the version numbers from a file "":

is = QuartzScheduler.class.getResourceAsStream("/");

I tried to add a "hidden-classes" filter on both "" and
"/", but I don't think it is excluded. I guess the
"hidden-classes" functionality treats this as a package name. Any way to
escape it?

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 6:17 PM, Trygve Hardersen <> wrote:

> Hello
> I'm having some problems with classloading and Geronimo plugins. Hopefully
> some of you can share your insight into this.
> I want to use the OpenSymphony Quartz scheduler in my application. The
> current version is opensymphony/quartz/1.6.5. OpenEJB also uses Quartz,
> but an older version quartz/quartz/1.5.2. The Geronimo plugin I want to
> use Quartz from also depends on
> org.apache.geronimo.configs/openejb/2.2-SNAPSHOT, which comes with Quartz
> since it depends on OpenEJB.
> The problem I'm having is making my plugin load Quartz from the classloader
> of my plugin, not from the org.apache.geronimo.configs/openejb classloader.
> The problem with loading it from that classloader is, besides getting the
> old Quartz version, that commons-dbcp/commons-dbcp is not available in that
> classloader. commons-dbcp is needed to use Quartz with a JDBC JobStore (at
> least with MySQL):
> java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource
> in classloader org.apache.geronimo.configs/openejb/2.2-SNAPSHOT/car
> I've tried to update OpenEJB to use the same Quartz version as I do so the
> groupid and artifactid are the same, but I'm still unable to exclude it from
> the classloader of my plugin. Does anyone know how this can be achieved?
> What I want is to create a Geronimo plugin that depends on
> org.apache.geronimo.configs/openejb but loads Quartz from its own
> classloader, not that of org.apache.geronimo.configs/openejb.
> Or to put it more generally, how can I prevent classes defined in dependent
> plugins from being used in the current plugin?
> Many thanks!
> Trygve Hardersen
> Jotta AS

View raw message