geronimo-user mailing list archives

From "Joe Dente" <jde...@21technologies.com>
Subject RE: Securing An Embedded ActiveMQ Resource Adapter
Date Mon, 31 Aug 2009 15:33:56 GMT
Thanks for the response.

We are already waiting for 2.2 so we can use the ejbds protocol, so I
guess we can wait until then to secure ActiveMQ as well. Do you have a
solid estimate on when 2.2 is slated for release? Are you guys still on
track for a  Q3 2009 release as stated on the Geronimo site?

Thanks,

Joe

From: David Jencks [mailto:david_jencks@yahoo.com]
Sent: Friday, August 28, 2009 4:54 PM
To: user@geronimo.apache.org
Subject: Re: Securing An Embedded ActiveMQ Resource Adapter

On Aug 28, 2009, at 2:45 PM, Joe Dente wrote:

Hi,

How do you configure the security of JMS queues and topics running in
Geronimo?

I have a couple queues and one topic that are already functioning and
deployed using the deployment descriptor of a resource adapter that
describes the queues, topics and my connection factory. I need to modify
my resource adapter so that these queues and topics require valid
credentials to access (eventually I also need to use SSL when
communicating with these queues and topics).  ActiveMQ's site has a lot
of information on securing ActiveMQ as a standalone broker. However, I
cannot find any information on configuring its security when it is
embedded within Geronimo. The only security configurations I can find in
the documentation are the "<config-property-setting name="UserName">"
and "<config-property-setting name="Password">" that can be optionally
specified on your resourceadapter-instance element. These settings do
not seem to have any effect on my connections. The other
security-related setting is the "<credential-interface>" element, which
is commented out in every example I've seen and was also mentioned to be
deprecated in a forum I read.

Does anybody have any experience with Geronimo's JMS security?

The only security settings on the resource adapter are user name and
password.  These let you set up a connection to an activemq broker.
Everything else needs to be configured in the broker.

I don't know if you can configure any security in an embedded broker in
geronimo 2.1.x using the gbean wrappers for activemq components.  In 2.2
you should be able to configure security using the normal server.xml
activemq configuration.  Alternatively you could use an external
activemq instance for 2.1.x.

hope this helps

david jencks

Thanks,