Besides using Maven to build plugins, you can use admin console to export your applications, dbpools to local disk, then create a custom plugin repository.

The only requirement is that all your applications, dbpools should be specifieded as .car be deployed in 2.2-snapshot.

Here is the doc(1) for your reference. It demonstrates how to export plugins, how to create a custom repository and how to install them. The page is kind of out-of-date and we'll update the page soon. But I guess the spirits are the same.

(1) http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GMOxDOC22/Converting+applications+into+plugins+using+the+Administration+Console

If you are talking about lots of applications,  using car-maven-plugin to build would be the No.1 choice.

Jeff C