geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: J2EE Connector deployment problem
Date Fri, 10 Jul 2009 07:59:36 GMT

On Jul 10, 2009, at 12:36 AM, johnxmas wrote:

> try the following code:
>
> <gbean
> class
> =
> "org
> .apache
> .geronimo.system.logging.log4j.ApplicationLog4jConfigurationGBean"
> name="DirectoryLog4jConfiguration">
>      <attribute name="log4jFile">META-INF/log4j.properties</attribute>
> </gbean>
>
> anything else, let us know.
>
> Jeff C
>

> In this case, I get
> org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.LifecycleException: start of
> com.scort.demos/vscics/1.0/ear failed
> //
> Caused by: org.apache.geronimo.gbean.InvalidConfigurationException:
> Configuration com.scort.demos/vscics/1.0/ear failed to start due to
> the following reasons:
>  The service J2EEApplication=com.scort.demos/vscics/1.0/
> ear,j2eeType=SystemLog,name=DirectoryLog4jConfiguration did not
> start because D:\geronimo-tomcat6-javaee5-2.1.3\META-INF
> \log4j.properties (Le fichier spécifié est introuvable)

That would work if you put your log4j properties file there as your
configuration says you have.  If you use a file outside the rar I
strongly recommend putting it in var/your-app/log4j.properties.  If
you are building a geronimo plugin using the car-maven-plugin you can
easily pack the properties file into the plugin and arrange for it to
be unpacked on installation.  I receommend this kind of file based
approach since it lets users edit the config file easily.

> If i put log4.properties at the root of my rar and modifies
> gerionimo-ra.xml
>  <gbean
> class
> =
> "org
> .apache
> .geronimo.system.logging.log4j.ApplicationLog4jConfigurationGBean"
> name="DirectoryLog4jConfiguration">
>   <attribute name="log4jFile">log4j.properties</attribute>
>  </gbean>
>
> I get
>
> org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.LifecycleException: start of
> com.scort.demos/vscics/1.0/ear failed
>
> //
> Caused by: org.apache.geronimo.gbean.InvalidConfigurationException:
> Configuration com.scort.demos/vscics/1.0/ear failed to start due to
> the following reasons:
>  The service J2EEApplication=com.scort.demos/vscics/1.0/
> ear,j2eeType=SystemLog,name=DirectoryLog4jConfiguration did not
> start because D:\geronimo-tomcat6-javaee5-2.1.3\log4j.properties (Le
> fichier spécifié est introuvable)
>
> So where must I put the properties file ? (BTW, another question:
> may I use a log4j.xml file ?)

If you want to keep the log.4j properties in the rar you need to get
it on the classpath so it can be found by the classloader.  I.e., put
it in the classes jar inside the rar.  Then you need to use the
log4jResource attribute and leave out the ServerInfo reference.  Since
this will make it nearly impossible to edit the log4j.properties I
can't really recommend this variant.

AFAIK log4j.xml files are not supported right now.  I haven't tried
them or investigated what would be needed to support them, it might be
very easy.... patches welcome!

thanks
david jencks