geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: clone / update server
Date Thu, 16 Jul 2009 08:31:40 GMT

On Jul 16, 2009, at 1:05 AM, Juergen Weber wrote:

> Hi,
>
> got a new 2.2 snapshot. How would I best get my current installation
> into
> the new snapshot?
>
> deploy/new-instance only creates a new server into the current
> installation,
> does it?
> http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC22/geronimo-gshell-commands.html#GeronimoGShellCommands-Creatinganewinstance
>
> What I'd need is to export all installed applications + plans
> (database
> pools) into a zip and import the zip into the new server
> installation. This
> would also be useful for backing up or moving a server to another
> machine.

that won't really work.

There have been a lot of gbean structure changes recently and
definitely since 2.1.x so you will almost certainly need to redeploy
your apps.

I strongly recommend that you use maven to build your applications
(and db pools etc) into plugins and then assemble a custom server
including them (again using maven)  This gives you a reproducible
process in version control that generates the server you want with the
apps you need in it.

One possible problem is that until very recently if you used the
console to deploy something such as a db pool geronimo didn't save the
plan for you.  However, you'd still have to come up with the plan
somehow since you probably need to redeploy.

Hope this helps
david jencks