geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Trygve Hardersen <try...@jotta.no>
Subject webapp run-as problems
Date Mon, 01 Jun 2009 13:55:14 GMT
Hello

We have been building a relatively large and complex system using
Geronimo-2.2 for some time. We're now getting close to finishing the
project, and it's encouraging to see that the release of Geronimo 2.2 is
getting closer, and that branching is around the corner.

However the latest Geronimo updates, I'm pretty sure it's the switch to
Jetty7, broke our security model. I've been trying to get make it work again
for some time, but with no luck. Hence this mail.

First we have a realm and credential store plugin that is used by all other
parts of the application:

# plan.xml
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<dep:module
    xmlns:dep="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/deployment-1.2<http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/deployment-$%7BgeronimoSchemaVersion%7D>
"
    xmlns:nam="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/naming-1.2<http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/naming-$%7BgeronimoSchemaVersion%7D>
"
    xmlns:log="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/loginconfig-2.0<http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/loginconfig-$%7BgeronimoLoginConfigSchemaVersion%7D>
"
    xmlns:cs="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/credentialstore-1.0<http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/credentialstore-$%7BgeronimoCredentialStoreSchemaVersion%7D>
">
    <dep:gbean name="jotta-realm"
class="org.apache.geronimo.security.realm.GenericSecurityRealm">
        <dep:attribute name="realmName">jotta-realm</dep:attribute>
        <dep:attribute name="global">true</dep:attribute>
        <dep:xml-reference name="LoginModuleConfiguration">
            <log:login-config>
                <!-- Allow administrator logins -->
                <log:login-module control-flag="SUFFICIENT"
wrap-principals="false">

<log:login-domain-name>jotta-admin</log:login-domain-name>

<log:login-module-class>org.apache.geronimo.security.realm.providers.PropertiesFileLoginModule</log:login-module-class>
                    <log:option
name="usersURI">var/security/users.properties</log:option>
                    <log:option
name="groupsURI">var/security/groups.properties</log:option>
                </log:login-module>
                <!-- Then check the user DBs -->
                <log:login-module control-flag="REQUIRED"
wrap-principals="false">

<log:login-domain-name>jotta-users</log:login-domain-name>

<log:login-module-class>no.jotta.backup.security.server.JottaLoginModule</log:login-module-class>
                </log:login-module>
            </log:login-config>
        </dep:xml-reference>
        <dep:reference name="ServerInfo">
            <dep:name>ServerInfo</dep:name>
        </dep:reference>
    </dep:gbean>
    <dep:gbean name="JottaCredentialStore"
class="org.apache.geronimo.security.credentialstore.SimpleCredentialStoreImpl">
        <dep:xml-attribute name="credentialStore">
            <cs:credential-store>
                <cs:realm name="jotta-realm">
                    <cs:subject>
                        <cs:id>anonymous</cs:id>
                        <cs:credential>

<cs:type>org.apache.geronimo.security.credentialstore.NameCallbackHandler</cs:type>
                            <cs:value>anonymous</cs:value>
                        </cs:credential>
                        <cs:credential>

<cs:type>org.apache.geronimo.security.credentialstore.PasswordCallbackHandler</cs:type>
                            <cs:value>${geronimoPasswd}</cs:value>
                        </cs:credential>
                    </cs:subject>
                    <cs:subject>
                        <cs:id>system</cs:id>
                        <cs:credential>

<cs:type>org.apache.geronimo.security.credentialstore.NameCallbackHandler</cs:type>
                            <cs:value>system</cs:value>
                        </cs:credential>
                        <cs:credential>

<cs:type>org.apache.geronimo.security.credentialstore.PasswordCallbackHandler</cs:type>
                            <cs:value>${geronimoPasswd}</cs:value>
                        </cs:credential>
                    </cs:subject>
                </cs:realm>
            </cs:credential-store>
        </dep:xml-attribute>
        <dep:reference name="Realms">
            <dep:name>jotta-realm</dep:name>
        </dep:reference>
       <dep:dependency>
            <dep:name>jotta-realm</dep:name>
        </dep:dependency>
    </dep:gbean>
</dep:module>

I can use this security configuration later from other EJB modules, also
deployed as plugins:

<application xmlns="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/j2ee/application-2.0"
    xmlns:dep="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/deployment-1.2"
    xmlns:nam="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/naming-1.2"
    xmlns:sec="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/security-2.0">
    <module>
        <ejb>crm-ejb-${jottaVersion}.jar</ejb>
        <openejb-jar xmlns="http://openejb.apache.org/xml/ns/openejb-jar-2.2
">
            <dep:environment>
                <dep:moduleId>
                    <dep:groupId>no.jotta.backup.crm</dep:groupId>
                    <dep:artifactId>crm-ejb</dep:artifactId>
                    <dep:version>${jottaVersion}</dep:version>
                    <dep:type>ejb</dep:type>
                </dep:moduleId>
                <dep:dependencies>
                    <dep:dependency>
                        <dep:groupId>no.jotta.backup.security</dep:groupId>
                        <dep:artifactId>security-ejb</dep:artifactId>
                        <dep:version>${jottaVersion}</dep:version>
                        <dep:type>ejb</dep:type>
                    </dep:dependency>
                </dep:dependencies>
            </dep:environment>
            <security use-context-handler="false">
                <sec:credential-store-ref>
                    <dep:name>JottaCredentialStore</dep:name>
                </sec:credential-store-ref>
                <sec:role-mappings>
                    <sec:role role-name="admin">
                        <sec:principal name="admin"
class="org.apache.geronimo.security.realm.providers.GeronimoGroupPrincipal"
/>
                    </sec:role>
                    <sec:role role-name="anonymous">
                        <sec:principal name="anonymous"
class="org.apache.geronimo.security.realm.providers.GeronimoGroupPrincipal"
/>
                    </sec:role>
                    <sec:role role-name="customer">
                        <sec:principal name="customer"
class="org.apache.geronimo.security.realm.providers.GeronimoGroupPrincipal"
/>
                    </sec:role>
                    <sec:role role-name="system">
                        <sec:run-as-subject>
                            <sec:description>Allow internal components to
run as system</sec:description>
                            <sec:realm>jotta-realm</sec:realm>
                            <sec:id>system</sec:id>
                        </sec:run-as-subject>
                        <sec:login-domain-principal
                            name="system"
                            domain-name="jotta-admin"

class="org.apache.geronimo.security.realm.providers.GeronimoGroupPrincipal"
/>
                        <sec:principal
                            name="system"

class="org.apache.geronimo.security.realm.providers.GeronimoGroupPrincipal"
/>
                    </sec:role>
                </sec:role-mappings>
            </security>
            <enterprise-beans>
                <session>
                    <ejb-name>jotta.crm.CustomerService</ejb-name>
                    <ejb-ref>
                        <!-- Reference to security service -->

<nam:ref-name>no.jotta.backup.crm.ejb.CustomerServiceImpl/userService</nam:ref-name>
                        <nam:pattern>
                            <nam:artifactId>security-ejb</nam:artifactId>
                            <nam:name>jotta.security.UserService</nam:name>
                        </nam:pattern>
                    </ejb-ref>
                </session>
            </enterprise-beans>
        </openejb-jar>
    </module>
</application>

When the "jotta.crm.CustomerService" EJB calls the
"jotta.security.UserService" it always runs as the "system" role, which is
what it is supposed to do. I also have a testsuite using remote EJB, and
from it I can log in manually using either the PropertiesFileLoginModule or
the JottaLoginModule. In other words the security configuration works as I
expect it to.

The problem comes when using this security setup from a WAR module. I have a
very simple web application that has a single servlet responsible for gather
the email addresses of interested customers. This servlet is supposed to run
as "system":

# web.xml
<web-app version="2.5" xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee"
http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee/web-app_2_5.xsd"
    metadata-complete="false">
    <description>
        Web application resposible for providing the Web Beta
        for customers of Jotta Backup.
    </description>
    <display-name>Jotta Web Beta</display-name>
    <!-- Can be run in a cluster, but does not require session replication
-->
    <distributable/>
    <welcome-file-list>
        <welcome-file>welcome</welcome-file>
    </welcome-file-list>
    <servlet>
        <description>Servlet providing interested customer
functionality</description>
        <display-name>Interested Customer Servlet</display-name>
        <servlet-name>InterestedCustomerServlet</servlet-name>

<servlet-class>no.jotta.backup.web.gui.pub.servlets.InterestedCustomerServlet</servlet-class>
        <run-as>
            <description>Runs as system</description>
            <role-name>system</role-name>
        </run-as>
    </servlet>
    <servlet-mapping>
        <servlet-name>InterestedCustomerServlet</servlet-name>
        <url-pattern>/welcome</url-pattern>
    </servlet-mapping>
    <servlet-mapping>
        <servlet-name>InterestedCustomerServlet</servlet-name>
        <url-pattern>/welcome/</url-pattern>
    </servlet-mapping>
    <servlet-mapping>
        <servlet-name>InterestedCustomerServlet</servlet-name>
        <url-pattern>/register</url-pattern>
    </servlet-mapping>
    <servlet-mapping>
        <servlet-name>InterestedCustomerServlet</servlet-name>
        <url-pattern>/register/</url-pattern>
    </servlet-mapping>
    <!-- EJB Mappings -->
    <ejb-local-ref>
        <description>Reference to the Customer Service</description>
        <ejb-ref-name>customerService</ejb-ref-name>
        <ejb-ref-type>Session</ejb-ref-type>
        <local>no.jotta.backup.crm.intf.CustomerServiceLocal</local>
    </ejb-local-ref>
    <security-role>
        <role-name>anonymous</role-name>
    </security-role>
    <security-role>
        <role-name>system</role-name>
    </security-role>
</web-app>

Now I've been trying a lot of different plan.xml configurations to make this
work, but the one that we've been using for quite some time looked like
this:

# plan.xml
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<application xmlns="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/j2ee/application-2.0"
    xmlns:dep="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/deployment-1.2"
    xmlns:nam="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/naming-1.2"
    xmlns:sec="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/security-2.0">
    <module>
        <web>web-beta.war</web>
        <web-app xmlns="
http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/j2ee/web/jetty-2.0.2">
            <context-root>/beta</context-root>
            <security-realm-name>jotta-realm</security-realm-name>
            <security use-context-handler="false">
                <sec:credential-store-ref>
                    <dep:name>JottaCredentialStore</dep:name>
                </sec:credential-store-ref>
                <sec:default-subject>
                    <sec:realm>jotta-realm</sec:realm>
                    <sec:id>anonymous</sec:id>
                </sec:default-subject>
                <sec:role-mappings>
                    <sec:role role-name="anonymous">
                        <sec:login-domain-principal name="anonymous"
domain-name="jotta-admin"
[...]

This used to work but no longer so. The servlet does not run as "system" and
access to the EJB is denied:

javax.ejb.EJBAccessException: Unauthorized Access by Principal Denied
at
org.apache.openejb.core.stateless.StatelessContainer.invoke(StatelessContainer.java:153)
at
org.apache.openejb.core.ivm.EjbObjectProxyHandler.businessMethod(EjbObjectProxyHandler.java:217)
at
org.apache.openejb.core.ivm.EjbObjectProxyHandler._invoke(EjbObjectProxyHandler.java:77)
at
org.apache.openejb.core.ivm.BaseEjbProxyHandler.invoke(BaseEjbProxyHandler.java:281)

The Geronimo source I'm running against is trunk from sometime on Thursday
last week (28th). I'm unable to build the current Geronimo trunk because of
the following error:

[INFO]
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] Error assembling WAR: Deployment descriptor:
/home/jotta/dailybuild/geronimo/trunk/server_clean/plugins/activemq/activemq-webconsole/target/activemq-webconsole-2.2-SNAPSHOT/WEB-INF/web.xml
does not exist.

Does anyone have an idea what is going wrong here, or how I can make this
work again? I'll try to create a simple application that illustrates the
webapp run-as problem. Our application is rather complex and many things can
go wrong. It's probably also possible to switch back to Jetty6, any idea if
that would help?

Your help and work is much appreciated!

Trygve Hardersen
Jotta AS