geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Jiang <genspr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Start server without open ports - possible?
Date Wed, 20 May 2009 03:27:26 GMT
On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 1:51 AM, David Jencks <david_jencks@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Feb 5, 2009, at 4:57 AM, Juergen Weber wrote:
>

>> I've created a custom server assembly and reduced a server to Boilerplate
>> Minimal and OpenEJB. This works, the server comes up (see below).
>>
>> But, can the server be started without the open ports? I only need the
>> server listen on a resource adapter, trigger an MDB and delegate to an
>> EJB.
>> No need for remote access, derby, Active MQ or OpenEJB Daemon.
>>
>> Can that be done?
>>

> There are several bits here and I don't know why some of the dependencies
> are present so you will have to do some experimentation to find out what
> happens.
>
> Do you really need to close the jndi and jmx ports? You wont be able to
> add/remove plugins or shut down the server via a command if you close these.
>
> system-database is an openejb dependency, I don't know why.  If you have
> another database you can presumably use an artifact-alias to substitute a
> dependency on your db pool plugin.   It would be great if we could just
> remove this dependency from the openejb plugin, it seems philosophically
> very wrong.

In org.apache.geronimo.openejb.deployment.EjbModuleBuilder
of geronimo-openejb-builder,  NoTxDatasource and NoTxDatasource defined in
system-database are used as the default cmp PU datasources(I guess it's for
EJB2 CMP entity bean compatibility).

As a result,  it can't be removed from the openejb + framework assembly.

> Similarly the activemq-broker dependency is IMO completely misguided.  I
> think it is supposed to be an activemq-ra dependency since there should be
> no need to actually have a running broker in your geronimo server.  Since
> you say you need mdbs I think you should be able to use an artifact alias to
> substitute your inbound connector for this dependency.

activemq-broker is useless if the user does not want a embedded JMS provider
.  Sure it's should not be a dependency of openejb.     I'm going to submit
a patch to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-4530  to remove
this dependency from openejb.