geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Dennis Cartier <dennis.cart...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Enabling Session Affinity in G2.1.4 (using Tomcat w/ WADI)
Date Wed, 13 May 2009 13:19:16 GMT
On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 10:19 PM, viola lu <viola.lu@gmail.com> wrote:

> First, pls set up tomcat or wadi cluster following this link:
> http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC22/clustering-and-farming.html
> and then configure apache http server to realize session affinity, if you
> use mod_jk way: edit works.properties under $http server install dir/conf
> with
>     worker.loadbalancer.sticky_session=1
> if you use mod_proxy, you can edit httpd.conf with:
> ProxyPass / balancer://mycluster/ stickysession=JSESSIONID
>
> Viola
>

> On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 9:10 AM, Dennis Cartier <dennis.cartier@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> I am trying to find out how to configure G2.1.4 for session affinity when
>> using Tomcat and WADI. Would anyone be able to point me in the right
>> direction?
>>
>> I thought that ClusterNodeName looked like a good guess in the
>> config-substitutions.properties file but that does not seem to attach a node
>> name to the generated session.
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>> Dennis
>>

> --
> viola

Thanks for the pointers Viola. I am fine with the clustering aspects as far
as Apache goes, I am just having trouble getting the node name to be
properly appended to the generated JSESSIONID.

I changed to the target namespace as indicated in the G2.2 cluster docs
(<web-app xmlns="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/j2ee/web/tomcat-2.0.1">)
and I already had my WAR marked distributable as well as having the
<tomcat-clustering-wadi /> element in place.

Unfortunately I still do not get a node name being appended to the generated
session so no affinity results.

I noticed the G2.2 docs had a section on switching WADI to unicast. This
sounded optional, I assume the default multicast mode of WADI is functional
and changing to unicast is not required?

I remain stumped. With no session affinity my requests are still spraying
across the entire cluster rather then being sticky to a single node.

Dennis