I’m trying to understand how to setup logging using log4j with Geronimo. Found the article http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC21/configuring-application-specific-logging-with-log4j.html but I miss an explanation of the concepts behind the logging. Likely the problem I have with implementing the logging following the article are due to this missing understanding. Before bothering anyone with my faulty source code I would therefore like to know whether I have understood the concepts correctly;

1. Each deployed WAR can maintain separate log file(s), by including a ‘log4j.properties’ file in the WAR and a definition of where to unpack it in the ‘geronimo-web.xml’ deployment file.

2. The ‘{GERONIMO_HOME}/var/log/server-log4j.properties’ file defines the log4j setup for the Geronimo server. When deploying WARs with their own log4j.properties files I do NOT have to change this file to make them work, the GBean ‘DirectoryLog4jConfiguration’ will manage this for me.

3. The log files can be viewed from the administration console through the ‘server log’ portlet, and the ‘Filter Criteria’ drop down box will contain each registered log file.

Thanks,

Gert.

Please help Logica to respect the environment by not printing this email / Pour contribuer comme Logica au respect de l'environnement, merci de ne pas imprimer ce mail / Bitte drucken Sie diese Nachricht nicht aus und helfen Sie so Logica dabei die Umwelt zu schuetzen / Por favor ajude a Logica a respeitar o ambiente não imprimindo este correio electrónico. This e-mail and any attachment is for authorised use by the intended recipient(s) only. It may contain proprietary material, confidential information and/or be subject to legal privilege. It should not be copied, disclosed to, retained or used by, any other party. If you are not an intended recipient then please promptly delete this e-mail and any attachment and all copies and inform the sender. Thank you.