Are the application A has the same package names with the package B ?
I mean
In the properties File for application A :
log4j.logger.de.test.webapp.util=DEBUG,fileA

In the properties File for application B :
log4j.logger.de.test.webappB.util=DEBUG,fileB

IIRC, they should not the same, for Log4j share a global configuration.
    Ivan