geronimo-user mailing list archives

From "Villemos, Gert" <gert.ville...@logica.com>
Subject RE: Concepts behind log file per WAR using log4j
Date Wed, 22 Apr 2009 08:19:09 GMT
I'm trying to understand how to setup logging using log4j with Geronimo. Found the article
http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC21/configuring-application-specific-logging-with-log4j.html
but I miss an explanation of the concepts behind the logging. Likely the problem I have with
implementing the logging following the article are due to this missing understanding. Before
bothering anyone with my faulty source code I would therefore like to know whether I have
understood the concepts correctly;

1. Each deployed WAR can maintain separate log file(s), by including a 'log4j.properties'
file in the WAR and a definition of where to unpack it in the 'geronimo-web.xml' deployment
file.

You also need a geronimo plan for the war with an ApplicationLog4jConfigurationGBean gbean
to tell log4j about the special configuration for the war's logging.

[Gert] I thought the 'geronimo-web.xml' was the Geronimo plan for the war, i.e. I have inserted
the ApplicationLog4jConfigurationGBean bean in this file... do I need another file as well?

2. The '{GERONIMO_HOME}/var/log/server-log4j.properties' file defines the log4j setup for
the Geronimo server. When deploying WARs with their own log4j.properties files I do NOT have
to change this file to make them work, the GBean 'DirectoryLog4jConfiguration' will manage
this for me.

yes.  If you don't do anything your app's logging will also end up in this server log file.
 You only need to follow the doc instructions if you want your app's logging to go to a separate
file from the normal server logging.

[Gert] So if I don't do anything I should see my log messages in the default log (... I dont).
And if I follow the instructions on http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC21/configuring-application-specific-logging-with-log4j.html
I should see them somewhere else.

3. The log files can be viewed from the administration console through the 'server log' portlet,
and the 'Filter Criteria' drop down box will contain each registered log file.

I don't know if you can look at other log files using the console log viewer.

[Gert] Ok... I'll try and see... just wondered why there is a drop down box on the log viewer.
Seems to indicate that you can have multiple logs.

hope this helps

david jencks

Thanks,

Gert.

Please help Logica to respect the environment by not printing this email / Pour contribuer
comme Logica au respect de l'environnement, merci de ne pas imprimer ce mail / Bitte drucken
Sie diese Nachricht nicht aus und helfen Sie so Logica dabei die Umwelt zu schuetzen / Por
favor ajude a Logica a respeitar o ambiente não imprimindo este correio electrónico. This
e-mail and any attachment is for authorised use by the intended recipient(s) only. It may
contain proprietary material, confidential information and/or be subject to legal privilege.
and inform the sender. Thank you.

Please help Logica to respect the environment by not printing this email  / Pour contribuer
comme Logica au respect de l'environnement, merci de ne pas imprimer ce mail /  Bitte drucken
Sie diese Nachricht nicht aus und helfen Sie so Logica dabei die Umwelt zu schuetzen  /  Por
favor ajude a Logica a respeitar o ambiente nao imprimindo este correio electronico.

and inform the sender. Thank you.