geronimo-user mailing list archives

From "Villemos, Gert" <gert.ville...@logica.com>
Subject Concepts behind log file per WAR using log4j
Date Tue, 21 Apr 2009 15:52:24 GMT
I'm trying to understand how to setup logging using log4j with Geronimo.
Found the article
http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC21/configuring-application-specific-loggi
ng-with-log4j.html but I miss an explanation of the concepts behind the
logging. Likely the problem I have with implementing the logging
following the article are due to this missing understanding. Before
bothering anyone with my faulty source code I would therefore like to
know whether I have understood the concepts correctly;

1. Each deployed WAR can maintain separate log file(s), by including a
'log4j.properties' file in the WAR and a definition of where to unpack
it in the 'geronimo-web.xml' deployment file.

2. The '{GERONIMO_HOME}/var/log/server-log4j.properties' file defines
the log4j setup for the Geronimo server. When deploying WARs with their
own log4j.properties files I do NOT have to change this file to make
them work, the GBean 'DirectoryLog4jConfiguration' will manage this for
me.

3. The log files can be viewed from the administration console through
the 'server log' portlet, and the 'Filter Criteria' drop down box will
contain each registered log file.

Thanks,

Gert.

Please help Logica to respect the environment by not printing this email  / Pour contribuer
comme Logica au respect de l'environnement, merci de ne pas imprimer ce mail /  Bitte drucken
Sie diese Nachricht nicht aus und helfen Sie so Logica dabei die Umwelt zu schuetzen  /  Por
favor ajude a Logica a respeitar o ambiente nao imprimindo este correio electronico.

and inform the sender. Thank you.