geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Concepts behind log file per WAR using log4j
Date Wed, 22 Apr 2009 16:22:45 GMT

On Apr 22, 2009, at 8:41 AM, Villemos, Gert wrote:

> I have created the file ‘webapp/META-INF/documentcrawler-
> log4j.properties’.
>

> My ‘pom.xml’ file contains;
>
> <plugin>
> <groupId>org.apache.geronimo.buildsupport</groupId>
>       <artifactId>car-maven-plugin</artifactId>
>       <configuration>
>             <instance>
>                   <plugin-artifact>
>                         <copy-file relative-to="server" dest-
> dir="var/log">META-INF/documentcrawler-log4j.properties</copy-file>
>                   </plugin-artifact>
>             </instance>
>       </configuration>
> </plugin>
>

> I have defined the ‘geronimo-web.xml’ file as;
>
> <context-root>DocumentCrawlerApp</context-root>
>
> <!--  Enable logging using log4j -->
> <gbean name="DirectoryLog4jConfiguration"
> class
> =
> "org
> .apache
> .geronimo.system.logging.log4j.ApplicationLog4jConfigurationGBean">
> <attribute name="log4jFile">var/log/documentcrawler-
> log4j.properties</attribute>
> </gbean>
>

> When deploying the WAR file Geronimo throws a ‘file not found’
> exception, pointing to [Geronimo home]/var/log/documentcrawler-
> log4j.properties. This seems to indicate to me that the file
> ‘documentcrawler-log4j.properties’ are not copied to the right
> folder in Geronimo as part of the deployment. This is not surprising
> as the copy statement is in the ‘pom.xml’ file, not in the ‘geronimo-
> web.xml’ file…
>
> Perhaps my problem lies in the sentence ‘3. …by including something
> like this in the pom.xml that generates geronimo-plugin.xml’ in the
> article http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC21/configuring-application-specific-logging-with-log4j.html

> . In my environment the ‘geronimo-web.xml’ file is NOT generated
> based on the pom. It is simply taken as I have defined it…
>
> What am I doing wrong?

I tried to clarify the documentation :-)  I originally wrote it
assuming that everyone was always constructing geronimo plugins using
maven and the car-maven-plugin  While I recommend this you can just
deploy an app :-).

Anyway.... you need to put the log4j properties file in the
appropriate location by hand if you are just deploying an app rather
than constructing and installing a plugin.

Please check the doc update and let us know if it is clear.

thanks
david jencks