geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Patrick Kranz <patrick.kr...@immobilienscout24.de>
Subject Deployment takes forever with many files
Date Thu, 30 Apr 2009 10:13:19 GMT
Hello list,

I´ve been working with Geronimo for some days now and I have a question
regarding the deployment process, especially about what happens behind
the scenes.

I am working on a project that has a lot of content (mainly JSPs but
also images, pdfs and so on). For the development environment this
content is reduced to a minimum, that is something around 800MB. The
live system has more data because customers can upload images and even
small videos. This data is placed on a file server and mounted via NFS
on the development machines, where the content is linked from the
docroot using symbolic links.

If I start this scenario with Tomcat, the application start takes about
3,5 minutes (really application startup, no copying of data). If I try
the same with Geronimo startup takes about 30 minutes with the system
almost being idle and enormous network traffic. If I copy all the static
content to my system and start geronimo it takes about 5 minutes.

So, my question is, what does Geronimo do in the background that causes
this startup time if the content is on a network share and can I prevent
this from happening?

Thanks in advance for every help!

Greets,
Patrick