geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Concepts behind log file per WAR using log4j
Date Wed, 22 Apr 2009 15:30:23 GMT

On Apr 22, 2009, at 1:19 AM, Villemos, Gert wrote:

> I’m trying to understand how to setup logging using log4j with
> Geronimo. Found the article http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC21/configuring-application-specific-logging-with-log4j.html

>  but I miss an explanation of the concepts behind the logging.
> Likely the problem I have with implementing the logging following
> the article are due to this missing understanding. Before bothering
> anyone with my faulty source code I would therefore like to know
> whether I have understood the concepts correctly;
>
> 1. Each deployed WAR can maintain separate log file(s), by including
> a ‘log4j.properties’ file in the WAR and a definition of where to
> unpack it in the ‘geronimo-web.xml’ deployment file.
>
> You also need a geronimo plan for the war with an
> ApplicationLog4jConfigurationGBean gbean to tell log4j about the
> special configuration for the war's logging.
>
> [Gert] I thought the ‘geronimo-web.xml’ was the Geronimo plan for
> the war, i.e. I have inserted the ApplicationLog4jConfigurationGBean
> bean in this file… do I need another file as well?

that is the geronimo plan, and you don't need any other file.

> 2. The ‘{GERONIMO_HOME}/var/log/server-log4j.properties’ file
> defines the log4j setup for the Geronimo server. When deploying WARs
> with their own log4j.properties files I do NOT have to change this
> file to make them work, the GBean ‘DirectoryLog4jConfiguration’ will
> manage this for me.
>
> yes.  If you don't do anything your app's logging will also end up
> in this server log file.  You only need to follow the doc
> instructions if you want your app's logging to go to a separate file
> from the normal server logging.
>
> [Gert] So if I don’t do anything I should see my log messages in the
> default log (… I dont). And if I follow the instructions on http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC21/configuring-application-specific-logging-with-log4j.html

>  I should see them somewhere else.

that's all correct.

It's been a while since I worked on this.  IIRC some apps include a
log4j configuration file and some have code to install it in log4j.
Apps that do this generally end up turning off geronimo's logging.  I
don't remember the details but if your app has a log4j.properties file
in it you might try removing it.  Otherwise you may end up tracing
through log4j code to figure out why it thinks you don't want stuff
logged.

> 3. The log files can be viewed from the administration console
> through the ‘server log’ portlet, and the ‘Filter Criteria’ drop
> down box will contain each registered log file.
>
> I don't know if you can look at other log files using the console
> log viewer.
>
> [Gert] Ok… I’ll try and see… just wondered why there is a drop down
> box on the log viewer. Seems to indicate that you can have multiple
> logs.

good point :-)

thanks
david jencks