geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Trouble setting up Axis
Date Wed, 01 Apr 2009 01:31:17 GMT

On Mar 31, 2009, at 8:07 PM, cknell wrote:

> Thanks for your interest. The tutorial is entitled "Understanding Web
> Services specifications, Part 1: SOAP"
>
> and can be found at
> https://www6.software.ibm.com/developerworks/education/ws-understand-web-services1/index.html

Thanks. Heh, that tutorials 3 years old. If you want to use it, I
suppose you could download Geronimo 1.1.1 and give it a try. You'd
also want to use a down-level version of Axis2 (I'd guess the tutoral
was written for Axis2 1.0). There may be more up-to-date tutorials on
DeveloperWorks, but have no idea where you'd find them.

As an alternative, I'd strongly recommend you take a look at http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC21/web-services.html

  Note that the tutorial assumes that you're using Eclipse -- this may
or may not be desirable for you...

> I do have files installed in %geronimo_home%\repository\org\apache
> \axis2.
> There are seven directories entitled:
>
> axis2-adb
> axis2-java2wdsl
> axis2-jaxws
> axis2-jaxws-api
> axis2-kernel
> axis2-metadata
> axis2-saaj
>
> Since I am new to this, if the tutorial is very out of date, it will
> be a
> challenge to "translate" to the new context. So, what URL can I use to
> verify that Axis is running? That will have to be where I start.
>
> I appreciate any guidance I can get.

Try out the tutorial on our Wiki, mentioned above.

Geronimo Java EE servers have two distributions: Tomcat+Axis2 and Jetty
+CXF. So, depending on which distribution you've downloaded, by
default you'll be using either Axis2 or CXF for your Web Services
implementation. Either is EE 5 compliant...

--kevan