geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: JPA Jars/ Hibernate/ EJB
Date Thu, 02 Apr 2009 17:07:34 GMT

On Apr 1, 2009, at 9:12 PM, James D Carroll wrote:

> I'm looking to write an app that will probably start as Swing ->
> Hibernate -> DB app, but might move to a GWT-> Servlet -> EJB -> DB
> app
> and was thinking that using JPA Annotations would save some work.
>
> 1. Would it work?
> 2. Where do I get the J5EE jars to put in my Eclipse build path?  The
> only thing that I can find on the sun site is a .bin that I can't
> get to
> run for the life of me. Not that I want Glassfish anyways; I'm
> targeting
> Geronimo.

Hi James,

All the various spec libraries are in the maven repository here:

   http://repo2.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/geronimo/specs/

In terms of starting with Swing and eventually going to GWT/Servlet,
you could still use EJB in either case.  In the Swing setup you could
embed the EJB container in your Swing app, then when you deploy to
Geronimo you can use the EJB container there.

Here are some examples of embeddable EJB container usage:  http://openejb.apache.org/examples.html

Note those are test cases, but the concept applies equally to any
plain java environment.  Also note that this very Embeddable EJB
Container concept is being added to the EJB 3.1 specification itself.

Theoretically, you should be able to design with the final
architecture in mind from the start and share the same "backend"
between the Swing and Web GUIs.

Hope that helps!

-David