geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Gbean to install plugin from remote repository?
Date Tue, 10 Mar 2009 17:09:55 GMT

On Mar 9, 2009, at 7:34 PM, James D Carroll wrote:

> I really hate hijack the OP, but in truth none of the scenarios you
> mentioned are what I'd like to be able to do:
>
> My group creates products that other areas of the company may or may
> not
> find useful. Vacation tracker, time sheets, workflow, whatever.  What
> I'm trying to make the case for is that instead of those groups
> running
> on our servers (and us getting the bill), we give them a copy of
> Geronimo and show them how to point to and install only those
> applications/plugins that they want from the Admin Console. Creating a
> custom server for them to start would certainly be possible and easy
> enough to do from what I can see, but at the end of the day, we want
> basically say "Here's your container, here's the repository of what we
> make, grab what you want".
>
> As for Maven, all I can say is that every time I've tried to use it
> (in
> Eclipse) I've just gotten very frustrated. I'm sure its much more my
> problem than Maven's and it looks like it has TONS to offer.  I just
> don't have the patience to get it right.

I think there are two ways to do this:

1. non-maven (relies on running scripts by hand, editing files by
hand, difficult to automate)

Set up a geronimo instance somewhere to use as your geronimo plugin
repository.  Deploy your apps into it, and either copy a suitable
geronimo-plugin.xml into the appropriate place in the unpacked plugin
in the geronimo repository or edit it using the admin console.  (I
haven't checked the admin console geronimo-plugin.xml editor recently
to see how functional it is)

2. maven (more automated, pretty much everything important is in scm)
Build your apps into plugins using maven with the car-maven-plugin.
The geronimo-plugin.xml will be constructed for you from your
pom.xmls.  At this point you can either install your plugins into a
geronimo instance somewhere acting as your geronimo plugin repository
or use maven to deploy into nexus.

If you deploy into geronimo, geronimo will generate a plugin catalog
for you.  If you use nexus, you'll have to generate one yourself and
make it available somewhere.  (I guess you can deploy it as an
artifact in nexus?? I haven't tried this)  The car-maven-plugin will
update a local plugin catalog for you automatically and there's also a
goal to scan your local repo and construct a catalog.

I've been using maven for years and can't quite imagine life without
it, despite all the annoyances.  I've just recently tried using it in
eclipse, using m2eclipse and I'm not sure how much added value that
brings.  Help with editing poms is nice but I haven't found much use
for eclipse running maven for me.

thanks
david jencks