geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Suggestion to improve packaging of ejb-jars
Date Thu, 19 Mar 2009 16:48:47 GMT

On Mar 19, 2009, at 9:27 AM, Olaf Bergner wrote:

> Thanks for your pointer, I will have a closer look at the maven-car-
> plugin.
> Last time I checked, however, I had to write the list of required
> dependencies by hand, a task that should be offloaded to maven/the
> maven-car-plugin, IMO.

Using plugins is much easier in trunk.... there we do (by default)
follow maven transitive dependencies, and track if they've changed
with src/history/dependency.xml files, and we also have the framework
plugin group which makes assembling a server very easy.  I wish we
could get 2.2 out really soon. :-(((((((

> As to your question: it is true that my solution for building an ear
> is not
> totally automatic, i.e. I have to decide up front which dependencies
> are to
> be shared between all modules. By putting those into a separate pom,
> however, and referencing that pom in scope "provided" from all jee
> modules,
> in scope "runtime" from my ear module maven more or less automatically
> produces a correctly packaged ear.

I don't think I've fought with this recently :-)  I have some
recollection that some of the maven plugins could use some more
configuration about whether they package jars into the ear/war/rar
automatically depending on the dependency scope.  For geronimo I think
we'd like a flag that would let the dependencies be "normal scope" so
geronimo would see them but maven would not include them in the ee
artifact.  I think I saw that there were some changes recently but I
don't know if this is supported yet.

Anyway your ear-building seems like it will work.

How important do you see separate classloaders for each ejb jar and
rar?  Do you expect any actual problems from a shared classloader or
does it just seem inelegant?

thanks
david jencks