geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <>
Subject Re: Suggestion to improve packaging of ejb-jars
Date Wed, 18 Mar 2009 21:42:05 GMT

On Mar 18, 2009, at 2:33 PM, Olaf Bergner wrote:

> I have several ejb-jar packaged inside an ear. Libraries to be
> shared between
> some or all of these ejb-jars are placed inside the encompassing
> ear's "lib"
> directory, as decreed by the standard. Some libraries, however, are
> local to
> the using ejb-jar, i.e. they don't need to be shared.
> I tried to package these libraries inside the using ejb-jar, creating
> appropriate Class-Path entries in that ejb-jar's manifest file. This,
> however, leads to a deployment error as obviously the Class-Path
> entries in
> the ejb-jar's manifest file are resolved relative to the enclosing
> ear and
> are therefore not found.
> Suggestion: make Geronimo resolve those dependencies relative to the
> ejb-jar
> declaring them. Same goes for rars.
> What do you think?

rars already have a nested structure, anything inside has to be in a
jar.  Or are you suggesting we support infinitely nested jars?

In geronimo everything in all the ejb jars and rars ends up in the
same classloader so you won't get any difference in behavior by doing

I'm generally against these nested packagings.  I think they were
dreamed up in the dark ages before people realized that their software
was part of the worldwide software ecosystem and that you need to
document explicitly how your software relates to other stuff.  This is
the kind of problem maven tries to solve.  People who still use ant
IMO still haven't recognized that this is something they can think

So, in geronimo I recommend packing as little as possible in an ear,
instead using dependencies to include the same jars from the geronimo
repo into the appropriate classloaders.

david jencks