geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Hotdeploy Problem
Date Wed, 04 Mar 2009 20:45:48 GMT

On Mar 4, 2009, at 12:02 PM, PeterE59 wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i have a basic problem. I am a newbie to geronimo.
>
> Geronimo is running:
> Version  	2.1.3
> Build 	2008.09.10-10:18:40.636-0400
> Java Version  	1.5.0_17
> Java Vendor 	Sun Microsystems Inc.
> Architecture  	i386
> Name 	Linux
> Version 	2.6.9-023stab048.6-smp
>
> I try to deploy a very simple web application to check my
> installation:
>
> HelloWorld\HelloWorld.jsp
>                \WEB-INF\web.xml
>                              \geronimo-web-xml

You want geronimo-web.xml to be in WEB-INF\

> HelloWorld.jsp:
> <%@ page language="java" contentType="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1"
>    pageEncoding="ISO-8859-1"%>
> <head>
> charset=ISO-8859-1">
> <title>HelloWorld!</title>
> </head>
>     <h1>
>
>                 Hello world from GERONIMO V1.1!
>
>       </h1>
>           ${datetime}
> web.xml:
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <web-app version="2.4"
>   xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee"
>    xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
>   xsi:schemaLocation="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee
>   http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee/web-app_2_4.xsd">
>    <welcome-file-list>
>         <welcome-file>HelloWorld.jsp</welcome-file>
>    </welcome-file-list>
> </web-app>

Note that the above welcome-file in web.xml does not match your
HelloWorld/HelloWorld.jsp location. Updating to 'HelloWorld/
HelloWorld.jsp'  is probably what you want. In this case, the
'HelloWorld' url should work. Without this update, you'd need
'HelloWorld/HelloWorld' to reach your jsp.

If you fix geronimo-web.xml, your url would become 'hello' since
geronimo-web.xml is setting the context-root

> geronimo-web.xml:
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <web-app xmlns="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/j2ee/web-1.1">
>  <environment xmlns:dep="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/deployment-1.1
> ">
>    <moduleId>
>      <groupId>geronimo</groupId>
>      <artifactId>HelloWorld</artifactId>
>      <version>1.1</version>
>      <type>war</type>
>    </moduleId>
>  </environment>
>  <context-root>/hello</context-root>
> </web-app>

See above about insuring geronimo-web.xml is in WEB-INF/ and note the
change of behavior caused by context-root.

> I build a jar file with:
> jar cvf HelloWorld.jar HelloWorld
>
> Hot deploy:
> cp HelloWorld.jar $GERONIMO_HOME/deploy
>
> Messages in geronimo.out:
> 17:34:58,001 WARN  [TomcatModuleBuilder] Web application . does not
> contain
> a WEB-INF/geronimo-web.xml deployment plan.  This may or may not be a
> problem, depending on whether you have things like resource
> references that
> need to be resolved.  You can also give the deployer a separate
> deployment
> plan file on the command line.

This message tells us that geronimo did not locate your geronimo-
web.xml file.

Hope that helps.

--kevan