geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Suggestion to improve packaging of ejb-jars
Date Wed, 18 Mar 2009 22:38:07 GMT

On Mar 18, 2009, at 3:23 PM, Olaf Bergner wrote:

> Obviously, adopting the Geronimo way of explicitly declaring a
> module's
> dependencies as references to jars contained in Geronimo's
> repository is the
> most explicit way of making that module's needs known to the world.
> On the
> other hand, it may be argued that packaging dependencies that are only
> needed by one module inside that module is still closer to the
> "truth" than
> throwing them all indifferently into the enclosing ear's lib
> directory.

I tend to agree that the classloader structure of javaee applications
is not well defined and very likely it would be pretty handy to have
classloader-per-module for ejb apps and rars as well as the ear
classloader from the lib directory.  In current geronimo, it's only
going to be a notation of what you'd prefer in a more ideal world.

For wars in an ear, you can indeed specify geronimo dependencies for
the war alone referencing the g. repo rather than (and equivalent to)
including the jars in the war's WEB-INF/lib.

> Moreover, it is precisely my use of maven and my meticulously
> managing my
> dependencies that led to this suggestion. I rely on maven's dependency
> management capabilities to automatically compute each module's
> classpath,
> leading to the scenario I described in my original post.
>
> Anyway: is there a maven plugin that allows me to convert my ear
> into a
> Geronimo plugin, using maven's knowledge about the required
> dependencies to
> automatically build the required environment entries?

I don't entirely understand what you are asking for.... once you've
built an ear or war that includes some jars, you have to do some work
with the dependency plugin to take them out again.  On the other hand
if you assemble an ear that does not include a bunch of jars in the
lib directory but the modules have maven dependencies that you need,
you can use the car-maven-plugin to build the ear into a geronimo
plugin that references the jars as (geronimo) dependencies.  When you
install the plugin, it will pull the jars into geronimo also.

thanks
david jencks