geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Suggestion to improve packaging of ejb-jars
Date Thu, 19 Mar 2009 16:56:25 GMT

On Mar 19, 2009, at 5:39 AM, Juergen Weber wrote:

> djencks wrote:
>>

>> I'm generally against these nested packagings.  I think they were
>> dreamed up in the dark ages before people realized that their
>> software
>> was part of the worldwide software ecosystem and that you need to
>> document explicitly how your software relates to other stuff.  This
>> is
>> the kind of problem maven tries to solve.  People who still use ant
>> IMO still haven't recognized that this is something they can think
>> about.
>>

> I think this is true for Open Source software. But companies (and
> especially
> banks) like ear files which developers can give to IT operations
> (who don't
> want to download libraries from the web while putting banking
> software into
> production).

Sure, but the bank is almost certainly using some software from the
outside world.... such as the app server, db driver, etc.  So it needs
a way to provide the required software to the developers (and qa,
production, etc) and audit what is made available.  And it still needs
to document the relationship of artifacts to each other.  IIUC the
maven solution to this is to use a corporate repository manager such
as nexus that lets you specify exactly what is available inside the
company.  The geronimo solution built on this is to assemble a custom
server from bits in the repo manager and give that to IT
operations.... all they have to do is unpack and start it.

thanks
david jencks