geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Admin Console Access and Security Realm
Date Thu, 19 Feb 2009 17:41:07 GMT

On Feb 19, 2009, at 5:31 AM, Michael2 wrote:

> Hello Ying:
>
> Thank you for the information.
>
> I am not clear what you said about the SQL database security realm:
> "the SQL
> database security realm is used to authenticate username and
> password from
> the built-in Derby database".  Could you explain more?
> If we cannot use the realm to authenticate Admin Console users, can
> we use
> it the authenticate application users?

While what Ying said is correct, I don't think it answered your
question.  IIUC what you want to do is covered by the instructions
here:  http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC22/basic-hints-on-security-configuration.html

Note that the admin console is set up to use a security realm named
"geronimo-admin" so you have to set up your SQL security realm with
that name and disable the realm of that name supplied with geronimo
(which will happen when you include the artifact aliases as
recommended in the article).

hope this helps
david jencks

> Thanks.
>
> Michael
>

> Sophia Tang wrote:
>>
>> Hi Michael,
>>
>> As far as I can tell, the SQL database security realm is used to
>> authenticate username and password from the built-in Derby
>> database, not
>> for
>> Geronimo admin console.
>>
>> For changing the username and password for the Administration
>> Console,
>> you
>> can use the *Users and Groups* portlet  in the console.
>>
>> Please see this page for more details:
>> http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC22/changing-the-username-and-password.html
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>

>> Best Regards,
>>
>> Ying Tang
>>
>> 2009/2/19 Michael2 <wtistang@yahoo.com>
>>

>>> I created a new SQL Security Realm, tested and deployed to
>>> Geronimo 2.1.3
>>> server, but when I reboot the server and try to use the new user
>>> name and
>>> password defined in the new SQL Security Realm to log into the admin
>>> console, it does not work. I have to use the default user name and
>>> password
>>> to get in.
>>>
>>> My question is: can I use the SQL Security Realm for the Admin
>>> Console
>>> user