geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Geronimo Transaction manager
Date Mon, 23 Feb 2009 17:43:06 GMT
Hi Juergen,

On Feb 23, 2009, at 5:57 AM, Juergen Weber wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we are looking for a transaction manager, Corba OTS based if
> possible, to
> manage non-J2EE DB XA transactions.
> What is the current state of the Geronimo Transaction manager? Can
> it be
> used from outside of Geronimo?

Easily.  For instance, there's a codehaus project called jencks that
packages it for use in spring.

> What is Geronimo Transaction manager based on? Is it JOTM, OpenEJB
> or an own
> implementation? There is some information that indicates that
> Geronimo would
> be based on JOTM
> (http://howl.objectweb.org/presentations/2004ApacheConHigh-speedObjectWebLogger.ppt
> )
> but I believe this is no longer current, is it?

That's not current.  Geronimo tm uses HOWL as does JOTM but the actual
tm implementation is separate.

> I tried if the Geronimo Orb supports OTS, but it looks like it
> doesn't, does
> it?
>
> ORB orb = (ORB) initialContext.lookup("java:comp/ORB");
> org.omg.CORBA.Object o =
> orb.resolve_initial_references("TransactionCurrent");
>
> results in
>
> org.omg.CORBA.ORBPackage.InvalidName: IDL:omg.org/CORBA/ORB/
> InvalidName:1.0
> 	at
> org
> .apache
> .yoko
> .orb
> .OB
> .InitialServiceManager
> .resolveInitialReferences(InitialServiceManager.java:191)
>

> So, even if it cannot be used as OTS, can the Geronimo Transaction
> service
> be used from outside of Geronimo?

Geronimo TM just does xa but does not try to do OTS.  It does do
transaction import so the main obstacle to distributed xa transactions
(i..e. more than one transaction manager participating in a tx) is the
lack of a transport mechanism between tms.

BTW the source code for the tm is here:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/components/txmanager

the most recent stable code is under tags/geronimo-txmanager-
parent-2.1.1
branches/geronimo-txmanager-parent-2.1 has a lot of bug fixes for
exception handling: I think we'll be releasing this fairly soon.

trunk includes j2ca connector 1.6 spec code which doesn't really alter
the tm at all but has some other nice features.

thanks
david jencks