geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Geronimo Transaction manager
Date Mon, 23 Feb 2009 18:26:00 GMT

On Feb 23, 2009, at 10:13 AM, Juergen Weber wrote:

> djencks wrote:
>>

>>> So, even if it cannot be used as OTS, can the Geronimo Transaction
>>> service
>>> be used from outside of Geronimo?
>>
>> Geronimo TM just does xa but does not try to do OTS.  It does do
>> transaction import so the main obstacle to distributed xa
>> transactions
>> (i..e. more than one transaction manager participating in a tx) is
>> the
>> lack of a transport mechanism between tms.
>>

> Well, sorry, I mis-formulated, by "outside of Geronimo" I meant
> using the TM
> running in Geronimo over the network to control data base operations
> in
> another process.
>
> So, I guess one would need an OTS transport mechanism. Do you think
> it would
> be difficult to expose the Geronimo TM as OTS service?

Despite studying the OTS spec for some time I didn't understand it
well enough to come up with a guess at how hard it would be to
implement or whether it would be easier to wrap an XA tm or start
over.  It's been several years since I looked at this.  In the
unlikely event that I remember correctly, if an OTS wraps an XA tm you
will end up running a copy of the XA tm on the node that is doing the
work on the database anyway as a manager for the tx branches for that
node so IMO you might as well just use the xa tm on that node to start
with.  As I said I don't remember very well how this is supposed to
work.

Could you explain in more detail what you are trying to do?

> djencks wrote:
>>

>> trunk includes j2ca connector 1.6 spec code which doesn't really
>> alter
>> the tm at all but has some other nice features.
>>

> Do you mean Transaction Inflow (cited in the slides linked here:
> http://blogs.sun.com/sivakumart/entry/java_ee_connector_1_6) ?

Transaction inflow has been present since connector 1.5, although its
implemented a little differently in 1.6.  It certainly seems like a
possible foundation for constructing distributed transactions.
However, I've yet to find anyone who knows anyone who is using
distributed transactions in production.  (just to reiterate, by
distributed tx I don't mean an xa tx with more than one resource
manager, but a transaction with more than one transaction manager
involved).

thanks
david jencks