geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Deploy to a non-running server how?
Date Thu, 05 Feb 2009 17:32:48 GMT

On Feb 5, 2009, at 4:49 AM, Juergen Weber wrote:

> Thanks, that works so far.
>
> But now the next step. I've created a custom server assembly and
> reduced a
> server to Boilerplate Minimal and OpenEJB. This works, the server
> comes up.
>
> But how do you deploy EJBs to this server? deploy --offline does not
> work
> (see below), I guess because I did not include any deployer plugin
> to the
> server.

right.

> But, deploying to a non-running server is only copying and
> manipulation of
> config.xml,

Installing plugins is like that, but deploying an ee app involves
constructing a plugin as well, which is what the ear deployer and
openejb deployer do for you.

> so this should also work from deploy.sh of another full
> installation (B) on the same machine.
>
> So, how can I tell deploy.sh of installation (B) to offline deploy to
> installation (A) ? This would mean something like --offline --uri
> file:/myGeronimoInstallation
> But there is no file uri, is it?
> At least not in http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC22/deploy.html

If you don't want to include the deployers in your custom server you
need to build your apps into plugins and install them.  I don't
actually recall if you can install plugins offline or not but at least
its a plausible goal.

Out of curiosity why don't you just build the custom server assembly
to include your apps?

thanks
david jencks

> Thanks,
> Juergen
>
> var/temp/assembly/bin ./deploy.sh --offline deploy /tmp/MyGBean.jar
> /tmp/gbean-plan.xml
> Using GERONIMO_BASE:   /geronimo-jetty6-javaee5-2.1.3/var/temp/
> assembly
> Using GERONIMO_HOME:  /geronimo-jetty6-javaee5-2.1.3/var/temp/assembly
> Using GERONIMO_TMPDIR: var/temp
> Using JRE_HOME:        /jdk1.6.0_11/jre
> org.apache.geronimo.kernel.GBeanNotFoundException: No GBeans found:
> [?#org.apache.geronimo.kernel.util.Main]
>        at
> org
> .apache
> .geronimo
> .kernel.basic.BasicRegistry.getGBeanInstance(BasicRegistry.java:153)
>        at
> org
> .apache.geronimo.kernel.basic.BasicKernel.getGBean(BasicKernel.java:
> 286)
>        at
> org
> .apache.geronimo.kernel.basic.BasicKernel.getGBean(BasicKernel.java:
> 282)
>        at
> org
> .apache
> .geronimo
> .kernel
> .util
> .MainConfigurationBootstrapper
> .getMain(MainConfigurationBootstrapper.java:100)
>        at
> org
> .apache
> .geronimo
> .kernel
> .util
> .MainConfigurationBootstrapper
> .getMain(MainConfigurationBootstrapper.java:59)
>        at
> org
> .apache
> .geronimo
> .kernel
> .util
> .MainConfigurationBootstrapper
> .main(MainConfigurationBootstrapper.java:38)
>        at
> org.apache.geronimo.cli.AbstractCLI.executeMain(AbstractCLI.java:67)
>        at
> org.apache.geronimo.cli.deployer.DeployerCLI.main(DeployerCLI.java:31
>

> Fredrik Jonson-3 wrote:
>>
>> In <21710174.post@talk.nabble.com> Juergen Weber wrote:
>>
>>> we'd like to have a script-controlled deployment of the server and
>>> some
>>> applications. What if we'd like [...] each new application version