geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <>
Subject Re: Question about memory usage of deployed service
Date Tue, 03 Feb 2009 15:55:11 GMT

On Feb 1, 2009, at 6:50 PM, Changdeok Kang wrote:

> I was just observing OS process memory usage by "top".
> Actually the next-day, the memory usage scores initial value.
> I think that the garbage collection is not executed at once. Am I
> right?

Garbage collection is an asynchronous process and it's behavior is
configurable and implementation dependent. However, in general,
unreferenced objects will be garbage collected pretty quickly (seconds
to minutes).

> Additionally, how can I check the java heap memory status on linux?

There a number of options. I usually just turn on verbosegc (e.g.
export JAVA_OPTS="-verbose:gc -XX:+PrintGCDetails"), you can also
monitor using JMX or the Geronimo admin console.

View raw message