geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Startup time delay in Ubuntu server
Date Tue, 06 Jan 2009 14:30:21 GMT

On Jan 6, 2009, at 2:51 AM, David Jencks wrote:

> I think its unlikely you are actually using uddi so I'd suggest
> disabling the uddi module in var/config/config.xml (comment out
> jetty-uddi or tomcat-uddi) and see if this helps.
>
> I'd wonder if there's some dns timeout occurring perhaps due to some
> kind of misconfiguration, however I'm no expert on this stuff.

I'd say that David is almost certainly correct. The delay is most
likely being caused by a network timeout and is probably DNS related.
You can help pin this down a bit by:

In one terminal window execute:

bin/geronimo.sh run

In a second terminal window:

ps auxww | grep server.jar

Get the pid of the geronimo server process and

kill -3 <pid>

Assuming you're running on a Sun VM, this will dump out the current
java thread stack traces. I'd expect to see one of the threads (e.g.
main) blocked on a network operation. We had a similar issue in CORBA,
a while back. Let us know and we can see if there's any obvious
network config work-around or geronimo code fixes.

--kevan