geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Question about memory usage of deployed service
Date Fri, 30 Jan 2009 14:13:36 GMT

On Jan 29, 2009, at 2:52 AM, Changdeok Kang wrote:

> If I deploy a service in the geronimo, how they consume the memory?
>
> For many clients, do they make a copy of the service?
>
> If then, when does the garbage collection happen?
>
> The reason for asking is that it seems geronimo only gets memory and
> never
> looses.

How are you monitoring memory usage? Are you hitting
OutOfMemoryError's? Or just observing java memory usage (verbosegc) or
observing OS process memory usage?

By "service", I assume you mean an application (e.g. a .war or .ear)?
When you deploy an application, it will consume java heap and permgen
memory (assuming a sun vm). If you undeploy the application, this
memory should be garbage collected and returned the the java heap. It
is possible for applications (or the libraries they utilize) to cause
memory leaks which will prevent the memory from being garbage
collected after an undeploy. In these cases, you'd see java heap/
permgen utilization grow with each deploy/undeploy cycle.

Clients would not cause a "copy" of a service to be generated. Clients
or client requests may cause additional heap memory to be consumed.
This is going to be application dependent.

--kevan