geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Out of memory errors
Date Wed, 07 Jan 2009 14:12:31 GMT

On Jan 6, 2009, at 9:21 PM, Ken T. wrote:

<snip>

> That seems to have solved the problem.  I was adding the flag by just
> putting a space delimiter in the string.
>
> I'm going to do a Google search on the PermSize and find out why
> this is
> a problem.

The Sun JVM uses a separate memory space for managing Classes (as
opposed to heap memory used for normal objects). When managing your
Sun VM memory settings, you want to think about heap memory and
permgen memory. I don't recall the specifics of how Sun calculates
your default max permgen setting (I don't have internet access at the
moment) -- IIRC it's a function based on your physical memory size.

--kevan