geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Peter Petersson <petersson.pe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Startup time delay in Ubuntu server
Date Tue, 06 Jan 2009 01:52:32 GMT
Hi Luis

I am using Geronimo 2.1.x on a Ubuntu server and have seen this behavior
a couple of times.

In my case the startup delay problem you describe has occurred during a
re-start of Geronimo and in my case. By checking the <geronimo
home>/var/log/geronimo.out file I have found the following module to be
the one taken time to start

Module 18/80 org.apache.geronimo.configs/uddi-tomcat/2.1/car                     started in
 3:01.119s

In my case the problem has been related to a prior "misbehavior" of a
web service application (during shutdown of Geronimo) and the delay is
probably related to a port binding issue. Apart from the somewhat
alarming startup delay I have not noticed any following sub sequential
problem with the running Geronimo server or any deployed web service.

If you hit this problem frequently maybe you can find out if you have a
port issue by checking your systems used ports with "netstat -lp" (prior
to start/restart of Geronimo) against the ports Geronimo allocates.
Ports used by Geronimo is listed in the var/log/geronimo.out file.

I have only seen this a problem a few times during a relatively long
time and some Geronimo restarts so I have not investigated the issue any
future but maybe this information will point you in the right direction.
If needed maybe someone else can fill in the blanks ;).

regards
   Peter Petersson