geronimo-user mailing list archives

From eros <eros.zanche...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Startup time delay in Ubuntu server
Date Tue, 13 Jan 2009 10:49:26 GMT

> I think you have a problem with system entropy that's causing a
> problem generating pseudo-random numbers.
>
> While the server startup was stalled, I sent a kill -3 signal to the
> server process (think I mentioned doing this earlier in this thread)
> and got the following thread stack:

Yep that's it!

I tried the kill -3 thingy (didn't know about it, thanks!) and got the a
stack trace just like yours. Having the server do some expensive
calculations while tomcat starts up seems to improve the situation a bit
(probably because this activity generates entropy).

The thing that really does the trick is:

mv /dev/random /dev/random.bak
mv /dev/urandom dev/random

even if I don't particularly like the security implications of this.

The problem seems to be working on underused servers and is apparently more
debian-related (see
http://n0tablog.wordpress.com/2007/11/24/running-out-of-entropy-in-debian-etch/)
than geronimo-related.