geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Geronimo Cannot Auto-reload class File
Date Thu, 15 Jan 2009 08:52:51 GMT
I really doubt that pursuing this will turn out to be a good use of
our time -- I fear that it is likely to introduce hard-to-find and fix
problems -- but if anyone wants to look into it....

-- a tomcat flag is unlikely to work in geronimo since we are not
using any tomcat class loaders.

-- I would investigate what tomcat does from this flag and if eclipse
has a similar feature and find out how they work.

-- I think I recall a jvm feature that lets you replace class
definitions in some circumstances.  I've never used it and don't know
when it can be used.

Basically I don't see how you can reliably replace one class - say a
servlet class - in a web app without restarting the whole web app.
There is going to be at least one instance of the servlet class
created, so you need to stop and recreate the servlet.  Assuming it
has load-on-startup == 0..... you have to start the whole web app.

If people have different perspectives I'd like to hear them :-)

 From a user perspective what I do is to set up a maven build that
builds my app, uses the car-maven-plugin to build it into a geronimo
plugin, use the car-maven-plugin again to build a micro server
including my app, and use selenium to run tests against it in the
micro server.

thanks
david jencks