geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Out of memory during second publish - reproduced
Date Thu, 04 Dec 2008 21:11:19 GMT

On Dec 4, 2008, at 11:03 AM, Dale wrote:

> Thanks Jeff.
> I added -Xmx768M to the end of the existing entry found at:
>
> Run > Run Configurations >  (Geronimo 2.1) >  Arguments > VM Arguments
>
> I started the server right from the run configuration because it
> seemed
> like my -Xmx768M would disappear if I didn't.
>
> It published the second time without error!  I thought I was home-
> free,
> but the third publish, I got a different error:
>
> Connection to deployment manager failed. See log for details.
> Invalid login.
>
> So I tried it all again (many times actually).
>
> I restarted Eclipse, and got the two good publishes, although the
> second publish I got this warning:
>
> 10:41:20,968 WARN  [ResolverUtil] Could not examine class 'manning/
> chapterFour/utils/User.class' due to a java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
> with message: PermGen space
>
> It was just a warning, so the application publish did not
> fail.  I removed the project from the server an published
> a third time.  This time, the published failed with
>
> 10:43:49,250 ERROR [Deployer] Deployment failed due to
> java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space
>
> I'm starting Eclipse with "-vmargs -Xmx768M", if that factors into it.
> I was unable to change the memory configuration in eclipse.ini without
> Eclipse failing to startup, so eclipse.ini contains default settings.

If you're running out of PermGen space, you'll want to bump up your
max perm gen size.:

-XX:MaxPermSize=256m

There may be a problem (there's an active discussion on our user
list). However, it's just as likely that you need to bump your max
permgen setting. Two deploys is too little to make any conclusions.

--kevan